Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players -Visionary Wealth Guides
NovaQuant-D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:58:35
PHOENIX (AP) — The NovaQuantArizona Diamondbacks acquired slugger Eugenio Suárez on Wednesday from the Seattle Mariners for reliever Carlos Vargas and catcher Seby Zavala.
The 32-year-old Suárez was a 2018 All-Star for the Cincinnati Reds and has been a consistent power hitter for the past decade, slugging 246 homers since 2012. He fills a need for the D-backs at third base, which was manned mostly by Evan Longoria and Emmanuel Rivera last season.
Suárez also provides another power bat for the reigning NL champions. He hit .232 with 22 homers and 96 RBIs for the Mariners last season, playing third base and designated hitter.
Suárez is due $11 million for next year as part of deal that includes a $15 million option for 2025 with a $2 million buyout.
“It adds a little bit of stability at that spot,” Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said. “He’s a guy we’ve liked for a long time.”
Vargas is a 24-year-old right-hander who made his big league debut with the Diamondbacks this season, throwing in five games. The 30-year-old Zavala has been a backup catcher for the Chicago White Sox and the Diamondbacks over the past three seasons.
Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Mariners, said the club envisions Zavala as the backup to Cal Raleigh entering the season.
“Adding Seby and Carlos is another step toward building the type of deep roster that is required at the major league level,” Dipoto said. “Seby is an experienced catcher with excellent defensive skills who will team with Cal behind the plate. And Carlos is a young reliever with the type of ‘big stuff’ that our staff has done a wonderful job developing over the years.”
Moving on from Suárez will be hard to sell to a fan base full of skepticism about the direction of the club after Seattle missed the playoffs and Dipoto’s misstep with some of his postseason comments. From the outside, it appears to be a move to clear salary, erases a key leader from Seattle’s clubhouse and leaves a hole at third base.
But Dipoto said earlier this offseason that Seattle wanted to cut down on its strikeouts at the plate, especially from the right side. It was part of the reason Teoscar Hernández was not made a qualifying offer by the team. While Suárez provided power, he also struck out an American League-high 214 times.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/mlb
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Caitlin Clark is part of the culture wars. It's not her fault. It's everyone else's.
- Planned Parenthood Oregon leaders plan to dissolve political arm, sparking concerns about advocacy
- Nicola Coughlan Is a Blushing Bride at Bridgerton Red Carpet in London
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Angelina Jolie Details How Bond With Daughter Vivienne Has Grown Over Past Year
- Wildfire burning near Twin Lakes, Colorado forces evacuations: See the map
- Denmark recalls some Korean ramen noodles deemed too spicy
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Inflation surprise: Prices unchanged in May, defying expectations, CPI report shows
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- Joey Chestnut, Takeru Kobayashi to compete in Netflix competition
- Celtics avoid collapse, defeat Mavericks to take 3-0 lead in NBA Finals: Game 3 highlights
- See the Brat Pack Then and Now, 39 Years After the Label Changed Their Lives Forever
- 'Most Whopper
- Will the Roman Catholic Church ever welcome LGBTQ+ people? | The Excerpt
- Neil Goldschmidt, former Oregon governor who confessed to sex with a minor in the 1970s, has died
- Gunfire altered her life in an instant. How one woman found new purpose after paralysis.
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Quincy Jones, director Richard Curtis, James Bond producers to receive honorary Oscars
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Gets Candid About How She Experimented With Her Sexuality in Prison
Teen Mom Star Amber Portwood Tearfully Breaks Silence on Fiancé Gary Wayt’s Disappearance
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Rob Schneider criticizes Will Smith for slapping Chris Rock at 2022 Academy Awards
It’s not your imagination. Men really do eat more meat than women, study says
Florida’s 2024 hurricane season arrives with a rainy deluge